Hello, everyone. It’s been some time since I did an update on the progress of my Portrait on my Eldest Son. You can find Part1, Part2 and Part3 here.
The part of the portrait that I worked on today was the lower part of the face. I worked on the chin, lips and neck areas and did a bit of touching up around the eyes and nose to get the shading of where the light highlights the top of the lips and nose.
The lips were more difficult than I expected, and I had a hard time making them look real, even though I added darker colours for the shadows and the cresses in the lips themselves. I had to put the pencil down as I was going to destroy what I already created, and my final thought was that I don’t like how they turned out.
As a final note, I started to notice how the paper began to lift and flake as I went over blending the shadows and adding the top colours. I believe this is due to me adding too many layers, but I do hope it isn’t the type of paper I chose, which is standard sketch paper from the local stationery shop.
As a final, final thought I will be continuing with my portrait no matter how the finish looks like, and I have already started sketching out the overall shape of my second eldest son for my next project. Once I have completed these soft pastel portraits, I will move onto acrylic paints and will try my hand at painting my sons, again on canvas.
I hope you enjoyed my latest update and keep an eye out for my next post where I will be working on the final part of the portrait and hope to have a finished project for you all to see.
Today I would like to give you another update on the progress on my Portrait of my Eldest Son. You can find Part1 and Part2 here.
The area that I worked on today was the hair, but I did go over the eyes and nose to make them stand out a bit more by adding darker colours to the shadows. I then went and rubbed out the pencil lines that I used to sketch out the overall shape with the colours that I would use to blend out his lower face and lips.
The hair itself was a challenge as I had to work out how to bring the hair to life. I did this by adding several under colours such as grey, black and white before adding the main colour brown. The most difficult was the highlights of where the light reflected off the crown which gave parts of the hair a golden hue effect.
As much as it sounds that I had a hard time with the hair, I found it very enjoyable and easy to paint.
I hope you enjoyed my latest update and do keep an eye out for my next post where I will be working on the lower portion of my son’s face.
Today I would like to give you an update on the progress of my Portrait of my Eldest Son. You can find Part1 here.
It has been a few weeks since I was able to work on this project but I’m happy with the time I put aside as I was able to take a long look at what I did and correct the errors I found.
I noticed that I didn’t blend enough of the dark colours to bring out the shadows around his left eye and the bridge of his nose. I had to rework my grey colours to bring out the shadows and I also had to work on his lower nose to make the nostrils stand out.
As I was working on the right eye and cheek I noticed that I might have enlarged his eye more that what the origianl picture portays but the eye does have a lot of hair over-hanging, so I believe once I move onto his hair the eye will not seem so big for his face.
One thing that I have learned is not to sketch the line art with a led pencil as I have found it very difficult to blend out. Leaving the led outline in doesn’t quite give it that natural feel of realism that I wanted.
As for my time-lapsed recording, I think I will go with a series approach and upload them in stages; Part1 and so on.
Anyway have a great day and keep an eye out for my next post.
Today I would like to share with you my latest project of a Portrait of my Eldest Son that I’m in the process of painting.
This project will be done over several weeks as I want to capture the true image of my son. It will be a painting that my wife has said will be hung up in our house for everyone one to see once it finished. Plus it will also be a test to see if she orders me to do the remaining three children, so I must do this one without any negative feedback, oh the horror!
First, I started by doing a brief sketch of my son posed in an area with good lighting and a neutral expression. I started on the left eye and nose as these are the two details that I have the most trouble. I’m using Derwent soft pastel pencils, and I also have soft pastel chalks and a blending stump in my art kit.
I’m not sure if I will be doing a recorded Part1 and Part2 series, leading onto a Part 3 and so on or create a long time-lapsed video of the whole portrait. The reason for this is the time I spend on the painting as I only want to work on it when I have a whole morning or afternoon free from distractions.
I will keep you updated on the progress of the painting and the decision on how I want to proceed with my time-lapsed recordings.